21 February 2016

Paper routes...

Saturday night we celebrated my niece's 8th birthday.

We met up at sushi dinner and then headed to Wal*Mart (don't judge me) to pick up some last minute items and to give her an opportunity to spend some of her birthday money.

While we are standing in line - she keeps mentioning that she still has $2 left.

Anyone, who's ANYONE (aka loves 80's movies and John Cusack), that hears ANYTHING about $2 knows exactly where my heart is.

ME: "I want my two dollars...I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!"

Bella stares at me like I'm a weirdo.

ME: "When we were growing up - there was this awesome movie where this kid has a paper route and wants to get paid his $2. BUT, the people just ignore him and so he starts showing up in all these random places with his bike - to collect his $2. And that's what he says, 'I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!'"

Bella stares at me like I'm a weirdo.

ME: "...Do you know what a paper route is?"

BELLA: "No."

ME (my heart dropping): "Do you know what a newspaper is?"

Bella stares at me like I'm a weirdo.

Random Wal*Mart cashier: "Wow. You really dated yourself."

ME: politely laughing but staring at the cashier like I don't care about going to jail for beating her up...ha!

HOW SAD!

I remember staying up at night - rolling newspapers for my brother's route in the morning. Helping him load the cool, double sided bag that he wore, while riding his bike - to deliver the news to our neighborhood. I liked the feeling of satisfaction as I washed off the black ink on my hands - from the little work I was able to do.

Sometimes, it'd be too cold for him to ride his bike and we'd wake up early to ride along in the car while Rin-Dizzle drove him. I always wanted to be able to throw newspapers as well as my brother. He almost always made it to their porch.

Kids will miss that.

Technology is awesome and I'm glad that we keep making such advancements for communication (hello? I'm blogging). I just wish there were ways to keep everything good about growing up as a kid - and still have kids of today enjoy being tech savvy.

I see memes all the time about growing up in the 80's or 90's (sometimes the 50's if you're reading Rin-Dizzle's posts). They bring nostalgia and pride. Growing up was tough at times, but I enjoyed it.

Tonight was one of the many moments my heart ached for our future generations. I want them to enjoy their childhoods as much as we did.

They'll miss dialing a phone to see who has a crush on them or who wants to meet at the mall.

They'll miss their chance to beat my high score on Number Munchers (Prime Numbers Queen right here!!!).

They'll miss the feeling of wind in their hair as they cruise down the cul-de-sac on their Big Wheel.

They'll miss how creepy My Buddy and Kid Sister were - but you didn't care and still wanted one to twirl around with outside - while you sang the commercial jingle.

They'll miss out on saving friends on Pound Puppies.

They'll miss finding new homes for Cabbage Patch Kids...or hiding their Garbage Pail Kids cards/stickers from their mom.

They'll miss how scary Teddy Ruxpin sounds when he's low on batteries.

They'll miss getting their cardio in on their Pogo Ball.

They'll also miss having a crush on John Cusack....that's truly heart breaking.

My nieces and nephews can look at me like I'm a weirdo all they want. 

They need our memories (happy and sad) to bridge the gap between their generations and ours. 

History repeats itself and  a lot of the fads are coming back - but it's different the second time around. The kids don't know the recess time, sleepover talks, or awkward teen moments behind them all.

But, they will. Oh, yes - they will.

One long store line at time - they will. ;)

If you have time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment