09 April 2015

WEIGHTS: DAY 1

Guess who made it back to the gym?! THIS GIRL!!! :)

I LOVE weights - and it makes me sad that my feet have given me so many problems that I had to stop.

My cousin/college roommate/mentor/bestie/trainer got me into full body lifting a couple of years ago. I lost a lot of weight and felt so good...and then I got my heart space broken and everything went to crap.

That's the Reader's Digest version at least.

I've lost a little over 30 lbs since January - and even though my foot is still giving me problems - the pain isn't so bad that I can't work through it. I know my limits - I'm understanding my body more - so it's time for weights again!!!

AAAAND I've got a friend doing the program with me: Erica I'll-Cut-You-With-My-Homemade-Shank Garcia. She's the best!!!

Week 1 is always tough - getting into the gym, figuring out the layout of everything, dodging all the Meatheads, and finding a place to warm up without feeling lame. It feels like our routine takes FOREVER, but we're there - and we're doing it.

The best part is - working out at Gold's Gym (or "The Golden Gym" if you're my Hawaiian Aunty). I love it! I love the Meatheads, the fit women, the soccer moms, the high maintenance girls that text on the stretching mats - I love it all! Keep your "Judgement Free Zones" - I'm always entertained when I'm at The Golden Gym - and I'm sure that I return the favor for others there as well.

We're warming up for our workout (The Female Body Breakthrough is amazing, but the warm ups are way more involved than just 10 minutes on a treadmill) and an older lady approaches us.

Lady: Ooo - I want to do what you're doing. It looks like something I should be doing!
*proceeds to copy the warm up that we're attempting...and if she wasn't a grandma - could have possibly been making fun of us...maybe she still was - ha!*
Lady *to Erica*: You remind me of someone I used to work with. You look JUST like her!
Erica *a little stand offish*: Oh really? What does she look like?
Lady: Well...she has the same hair color as you...
Me: Does she have an attitude? Because then THIS *nodding to Erica* is her.

HAHAHA - the Lady stayed for a bit longer - but then she informed us that she had reached her max workout for the day and disappeared....almost magically.

We're still warming up - and a Fit Guy (not bulky enough to be a Meathead) comes over to the stretching area. We're concentrating - and out of the corner of my eye - I notice - that Fit Guy has noticed us.

That's not hard. I'm pretty sure that I'm the largest person in the gym at that time - and the ONLY Polynesian. Erica is probably the only Mexican girl there - and we're new to this gym...so yes - NEWBIES...doing weird warm ups.

We keep warming up and he has the courage to strike up a conversation:

FIT GUY: Are you girls ballerinas?
*we full on LAUGH in his face*
BAHAHAHA
ME: Yeah. Big, BROWN, ballerinas!!! (accidental alliteration!!!)
BAHAHAHA
ERICA: Yeah. They have to pay US more money.
BAHAHAHA

Needless to say - our adventures here are only beginning. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment