17 March 2014

Our Jelly Bean Man

Big Ray, my dad, came to stay with us a week or so ago. Here are a couple stories that make us happy. :)

He has Alzheimer's and it's hard to see it take over his life - mentally and physically - so I want to blog some happy memories to help endure the sad.

Big Ray's favorite place to eat is Red Lobster. SO - I thought I'd be the favorite daughter and take him on a "Daddy/Daughter Date" to his favorite place and let him eat whatever he wanted.

We show up and it's packed. I, honestly, didn't think anyone ate at Red Lobster anymore - especially on a Thursday night. Big Ray sees a packed bench, walks over, and asks if the people there could possibly scoot down so he could sit down. They oblige and then my dad says,
"Can you scoot down a little more, for my daughter to sit down too?"
They look up - to see the biggest, Polynesian girl in the restaurant and I'm all sorts of flustered.
"No - no! No worries - I'm just fine standing."
Big Ray: "Don't be silly. There's plenty of room."
AND - everyone scoots down just a little bit more...for me to sit.

We find ourselves sitting next to a cute couple. They're dressed up nicely, arms interlocked, and most likely out for a nice date. She turns to us and starts a conversation:

Woman: How are you guys tonight?
Big Ray: Great! I brought my assistant. (referring to me)
*woman looks confused*
Me: Ha! I'm not his assistant. I'm his daughter - we're on a Daddy/Daughter date. :)
Woman: OH! We're on a date too. And I call him my daddy.
*I'm speechless*
Me (stuttering): No really - this is my dad. I'm adopted.
*The couple just laughs and Big Ray just sits there - smirking*
I'm pretty sure I told them that I was adopted - five more times before we were seated for dinner.



Big Ray also loves jelly belly's. Popcorn and pear flavored jelly belly's. In large quantities. That he keeps in all of his pockets. You can always tell where he's been - because there are jelly belly's left...like bread crumbs, I guess. HA!

One morning, my sister called down to Big Ray - to remind him to take his medicine. He said not to worry and with the hustle and bustle of four kids - it soon slipped my sister's mind. When she realized that Big Ray hadn't taken his medication - she began to look for him. She assumed that he was getting ready for the day - in the basement.
Bunny: So, I get down to the basement and he's not getting ready. He's LAYING IN YOUR BED!!!
Me: I knew it!!! There were jelly belly's ALL OVER it!!!
*shared laughter*
Me (remembering Bunny just got new leather couches): Oh man! You should have the kids check the couches for jelly belly's!!!
The kids come down in full force - searching the couches in delight. They're laughing and racing to see who can find the most.
Jaden holds his hand up - full of jelly belly's - over his head, and yells, "It's like a treasure hunt!!!" :)
I will gladly tell people at restaurants that I'm on a date with my dad. I will gladly come home to jelly belly's in my bed. I will gladly send my nieces/nephews on jelly belly treasure hunts in the furniture.

Because that will mean that Big Ray is still here <3
 




No comments:

Post a Comment