27 October 2011

Sitting in the FRONT seat - Sitting in the BACK seat...

I made it to Germany!!! HOLLA!!! :) or should I say "HALLO!!!"...hahaha

My first few moments, back in Europe, were inspiring - so I have to share...


I had spent 13+ hours traveling - eating airplane food (no complaints on the *free* part) - half deaf from my ear infections and ear drops - and doped up on ibuprofen/tylenol/hydrocodone/crackcocaine/what-have-you - and I found my way to the Alex Airport Shuttle to take me to home.


The Culprit
I'm told that because I'm the farthest away - I will be dropped off last. They throw my luggage in the bottom of the back of a tall Eurovan - and I climb in the back seat. There's a driver's seat - a passenger seat - a 2-3 person bench infront of me (full) - and then my bench seat that has room for 3-4 people. A family of 3 comes to sit by me, but ends up sending their son to the front - so we have more room in the back. It turns out that they are new to Germany as well - and moving straight from O'ahu! That was a relief - because we've got at least an hour ride ahead of us. Now it won't be awkward because we're practically family. ;) I was holding my fuzzy pillowcase (full of my favorite minky blanket) and my ukulele. And we were ready to go!



The ride starts off well - I'm having a good time. We're swapping stories about Hawaii and military life. Which I have a lot to offer - because I'm both Hawaiian AND military...but we're excited that we have each other and that makes me happy. So happy in fact, that I wish it would have never ended.

Germany is beautiful! Imagine any fairytale that you grew up hearing - and you're picturing Germany. Dense forests full of witches and wolves - rolling hills - villages tucked into the landscape - castles - bakeries - German people (that love to stare) - and roads so narrow and twisty, that no Tongan (who gets carsick easily), should find herself caged in the back of a Eurovan.

My downfall...


I started feeling a little queezy when we dropped off the first person. I was trying really hard to concentrate on my conversation with Hawaiian Lisa and ignore the imposing headache that was on the edges of my mind. If I could make it to the next drop off - maybe Hawaiian Lisa and her husband could move up and I could stretch out on the back seat. I closed my eyes to help me accomplish that goal.



 
The thing about Alex Airport Shuttle drivers is that they just want to get people dropped off. The more people they help - the more chance of tips they'll have. With that in mind, they don't care how they get to the drop off points - they just want to get there and FAST. Not to mention, they're used to driving these evil roadways - so they fly through the streets like monsters...come to think of it - they ARE monsters.

By the time we got to the second drop off point - both Hawaiian Lisa and her husband were complaining about the carsickness as well. It made me feel a little better - but I was now at the point, I couldn't really open my eyes. Hawaiian Lisa and her husband moved to the middle part - and I was excited to stretch and feel better.

I started out with my pillow against the window and my head on my pillow. But, the Monster Driver had some magical power that made me feel EVERY movement of the cursed Eurovan. I got rid of the pillow and realized how hot I was. I started pressing my face and hands against the cold glass - getting a brief moment of relief, but the magic was TOO strong!!! I stripped off my jacket and shoved it into my pillowcase. I couldn't breathe well - I was sweating - and I couldn't seem to make myself feel any better. Looking out the window made it worse. Closing my eyes and steadying my head against the seat made it worse as well. I was doomed...

Monster Driver swerved around a curve...*gulp*

Monster Driver slammed on the breaks...*gasp*

Monster Driver knew how to work his black magic all too well!!! I started to panic - there were no shoulders to pull over on. There was no way to stop on the autobahn. WHAT DO I DO?!

I reached for the only comfort I had left in this world - the pillowcase.


Knight in Shining Armor
Yes - it was full of my favorite minky blanket. It also contained my fleece jacket that I had ripped off during the Battle of Heat. I had to decide quickly - for the fate of my world trapped in Eurovan was quickly unravelling.

Monster Driver laughed viciously as he took 3 more curves and turned up the heat.

I surrendered.

I pulled my snowglobe encrested pillow case open - and began to vomit.

:(

I wretched the contents of my travels into my pillowcase at least 3 times - praying that no one could see, hear, or smell me.

:(

You know what though? After admitting defeat - I felt a MILLION times better...almost COMPLETELY healed!

It's like - the Monster Driver had no power over me any longer - and I was ready to fight...or do a load of laundry. ;)

I was actually dropped off before the family from Hawaii (because I couldn't go on base yet...or because they heard my battle cries?). I was able to dump out the contents of my defeat in my cousin's yard and guess what?! Only my jacket and one side of the pillowcase were compromised - leaving my minky blanket UNHARMED!!! It's a GERMANY MIRACLE!!!

I rushed inside - got my clothes and pillowcase into the washer, changed my shirt, and even administered more ear drops before my cousin got home!

HOORAY FOR MY FIRST BLOG FROM DEUTSCHLAND!!!

3 comments:

  1. I L-O-V-E Love reading your blogs. You always crack me up with every little detail that never escapes your witty writings. I love it!!! And I miss you!!!! I'm so glad I got to visit with you before you headed to Deutschland. I am even happier that you are there safe and sound and enjoying my beautiful homeland. Yup....I still have living relatives there. One of these days I'll get back there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh that sucks that the magic driver was so cruel. But happy to hear your feeling better & you could save your pillow case.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't read this blog without commenting (even though I read it the day you wrote it... it's taken me a while to respond)!

    I love Germany and have traveled there many times. Germans are insanely good drivers and insanly windy roads. To an untrained outsider, it might look like Germans play chicken as they drive, but really they all know what they're doing. I promise.

    Now, for someone who is often carsick in America, literally EVERY TIME I've been to Germany, I have gotten majorly carsick while on the road there. The roads are too windy and they drive TOO FAST not to get sick on those roads! Remind me to tell you one time when I threw up in the back of my house father's BRAND NEW and BELOVED Mercedes Benz because of carsickness. I managed to puke in my hands/lap and missed the car completely. Awesome.

    Anyway... I hope you are LOVING living in Germany! I hope you're still there in June 2013, because I am coming to Germany again and want to see you! :)

    ReplyDelete